This week, a couple of Client conversations went in a very similar way and led to me questioning them on:
- Why do you want to promote 'this Product'?
- 'with this message'?
- and 'via these channels/methods'?
IN A NUTSHELL - THE TAKEAWAY FOR YOU...
Please benefit from the conversations others paid for this week! Here's the resulting 'take-aways' you may wish to ask yourself (else read further for the case studies) ...
- You likely have many products or services, prioritise choose the one that suits your business model
- Your content should rarely be Salesy or Promotional in nature!
... rather, it should be about value to a detailed target audience - the more you know who your targeting the better you can write contant that suits them.
- The more you 'Engage & switch on' your target buyer, the more you maximise your rate of enquiries and sales!
- Once you've a clear picture on who you're targeting, figure out the most likely channel that will get you in front of them or the easiest one to start with.
Eg.Social Web (Facebook, Twitter etc), Print (Flyers, Press), Face to Face (eg.networking) and so on.
A couple of stories to help you understand...
CASE STUDY 1 - 'LADIES BOOTCAMP'
- Originally: Ladies Bootcamp.
- Adjusted: Ladies Bootcamp specifically to ladies in their 30's so to make them feel in good company.
- Original Message (flyer)
1. Price (free session £6 per sesh thereafter).
2. Results (Weight Loss examples).
3. Freebie (Diet Plan given upon sign-up).
- Adjusted (via Video)
We refined the message as follows, this time, seeking to differentiate + lead our thoughts from the Customer's Needs /fears / assumptions & expectations.
1. About Personal Trainers: One of the best Personal Trainers you could find, he & she have a business training other Personal Trainers.
2. Professional Location: Local Football Grounds, indoors & outdoors to suit weather conditions, private facility without any onlookers.
3. Support Outside of the Bootcamp: via Facebook Group, Phone, Email, takeaway Diet and Exercise Plans.
CHANNEL TO MARKET
- Original Method: Printed & Digitised Flyer and a web-page,
- Adjusted: A separate & highly Targeted Facebook advertising campaign for each venue (3 in total), targeted to females in their 30's within 1 mile radius of the venue.
CASE STUDY 2 - LICENSED TRAINING COURSE MATERIALS
- Originally: Licensed Courseware.
- Adjusted: Software Testing Trainer / Training Materials
- Original Message (email & website)
1. Price (setup fee + commission thereafter).
2. Benefit (get started immediately).
3. About (Long established UK company).
We refined the message as follows, as previous case study, seeking to differentiate + lead our thoughts from the Customer's Needs /fears / assumptions & expectations.
1. About: One of the best companies you could find...We were the first in the world to launch officially accredited courseware, we've written books on our subjects, we give talks globally on our subject matter, we sit on the official examination board and contribute to the sector's actual syllabus.
2. Personalised & ready to go: The first step is be brand your product and deliver it to you for you to use as you wish - including notes, tips, homework for enhanced learning etc.
3. Lead generation: We help you get bums on seats by: farming out leads as they come in via our own established marketing methods. Plus, you can opt for us to turn the tap on even more if you wish.
CHANNEL TO MARKET
- Original Method: Email, Web-page, Hope via Talks at conferences
1. Separate & highly targeted AdWords Campaigns, carefully rolled out geographically until Global.
2. LinkedIn targeting & awareness.
3. Website SEO (we can't disclose the clever bits eg.How we 'FACTUALLY KNOW' what keyphrases to go for, what content to add etc (unlike other firms, this isn't simply keyword tools or guesswork, we've tested & got facts prior to efforts in useless direction).
4. Targeting Key Firms via real world methods.